Monday, August 29, 2005

Epitome of Kiasu-ism

Yesterday was the Chan Brother's 40th Anniversary Fabulous Travel Fair II. Though I was not obliged to work, I "volunteered" my services anyhow. Firstly it was not as if I wasn't getting paid, secondly, I thought it would be quite an interesting experience (which was) and thirdly, I would have more things to say in my next e-Journal.

On a beautiful Sunday morning when I should be sleeping soundly like "The Princess and the Pea", I grudgingly woke up at 0715 and dragged myself to Suntec Convention Centre. Okay, I'm digressing and telling some long grandmother story.

So anyway, the fair started at 1000 and when I got there at 0900, there was already a small stream of people wandering outside the exhibition hall. Finally, the doors were opened to the public and there was a mad rush of people. Seriously, they all take their queue numbers outside the exhibition hall, so does it really matter if you're the first one inside the hall?! That was just the beginning.

I was stationed at the Redemption Counter with the rest of the Marcoms department in charge of checking the number of free gifts the customers were entitled to. There were goodie bags for the first 1000 bookings made and also free Burger King breakfast for bookings made from 1000 to 1140.

Of course there were people who bugged us for the Burger King breakfast even till the evening, those who were asking why there weren't anymore goodie bags. Hello?! Cause they have been fully redeemed! Then those who kept asking if there was anything they could redeem even if they didn't make any bookings. -.-

The terror of them all? Those who couldn't redeem anything because they didn't make any bookings, asking for plastic bags and packets of tissue paper and then walking off with glee. I wanted to slap their faces!

There is actually a lot more to tell but I just don't know how to put them into words. Or rather I'm just too tired. Bottom line, the kiasu-ism of Singaporeans is fucking disgusting and it puts me to shame to call myself a Singaporean when I think of the kiasu lot.

"Ironically, its you"


No comments: