Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The 24 Hours Of A Day

In a day, there are 24 hours.
In 24 hours, there are 1, 440 minutes.
In 1, 440 minutes, there are 86, 400 seconds.

Okay, I believe you get my point. Now, my other point is, the damn 86, 400 seconds/ 1, 400 minutes/ 24 hours is not sufficient!

See, an average human, spends about 8 hours a day sleeping, another 8 hours either at work or at school, that leaves us with another 8 hours. Say an average of 3 hours for communicating from one place to another and another 3 hours for meals and visiting the toilet to bath, poop, pee and what other nature calls one has to answer. Kapoop! There goes the 24 hours. (At least that is my perspective of an average Singaporean)

As kiasu and kiasee Singaporeans, parentals will send their children for all sorts of "enrichment" classes; classical ballet, organ, classical piano, speech & drama, abacus, art, you name it, we've got it. Not forgetting to mention tuition classes to keep up with the ever "changing" education system in Singapore; english, math, science, general paper and even pre primary school.

I mean, if your child has no "talent" to study or play the piano means no "talent" okay? No matter how many other "enrichment" classes you send the poor child to, he/she will not improve (except for miraculous cases). So spare the poor kid from the mental stress and let him/her enjoy his/her childhood like our parents used to; prancing around the kampong playing hopscotch or what games.

The Gahmen everyday other day encouraging people to get married and for the women to get pregnant. Extra baby bonus, more maternity leave yada yada. First things first, working adults have no time to have sex. Okay, maybe not no time, but no energy! Day in, day out work work work our butts off.

So what if the Gahmen has already implemented a 5 day work week? Most local (ching chong) SMEs make sure they work their employees till 44 hours gao gao and pay them 44 hours on the dot. Work work work, where got strength and energy to have sex?! No sex, how to have babies?!

After work, have dinner, rest awhile watching tv then go sleep already. If not, bickering with their spouses due to stress faced at work, quarrel and fight then divorce. No babies again. The high living standards of Singapore does not make things better. It takes a lot of money, time and mental health to bring up one kid (everyone has been a child, I'm sure you know what I mean by mental health), who so free? Daddy and Mummy both working, mana wu xi gan?

I realised I have digressed a lot from what I was initially planning to blog about. It is not about making babies, it is about the insufficient 24 hours for a fast paced society like Singapore.

Even as an intern, I am feeling the "Wake up, go to work, go home and sleep" cycle of a working adult. I miss time spent with my best friend terribly, I miss my girls in school, I miss towning blah blah. Even when the gf and I meet for dinner, its always around our place; Tampines, Bedok or Eunos. Both knackered from the 8 hours at work, the consistent headaches and the stress.

Which explains the lack of blogging, not to even mention going online to chat on mIRC or MSN. With 3 weeks left to the end of internship, I am really running out of time. I am still waiting for Ms. Tan's approval to my Mini Project proposal before I propose it to my manager. Then there's the whole portfolio to do and the nonsensical environmental thing to include in it. Siao liao la.

Been so busy that it totally slipped my mind. This Saturday and Sunday there's the Chan Brother's Travel Fair, Monday, the corporate dinner, then Travel Roadshows (mini travel fair) all over Singapore everyweek. Tell me how?! -pulls hair-

"So much love, so little time"

No comments: