Wednesday, May 16, 2007

G(ive) S(o) T(ake) Offset

Ahh. The much anticipated GST Offset that we Singaporeans have been looking forward to. My letter finally arrived and I'm so pleased that I'm getting $250. Hehehe.

To be honest, I didn't really care how much I would be getting because I knew I'll prolly either get $200 or $250 because of my total household income and home category. I was more worried about not getting the money because the government has always "cheated" with the sentence, "Be aged 21 as of 1st January 2007". Thank God that's not the case or I'd be banging my head against the wall just because I was born almost 5 months later.

Was reading through the FAQs section of the GST Offset website and I saw this, "NSF/NSmen (both active and inactive) will get an additional $100 worth of GST Credits in recognition of their contributions to Total Defence." and I have something to say about it.

Those who know me well, would know I'm a real feminist and all about equal gender rights. So why isn't there a clause that states, "An additional $100 worth of GST Credits for all women who have given birth in recognition of their contribution to Singapore's population."

So what? We go through our painful monthly periods, carry a child for 9 months (assuming you only have 1 child), bear with all that labour pain what have you and don't deserve a measly extra $100?! Seriously, tell me how is that fair?! How to encourage women to have 2 or more children like that? No motivation at all! -shakes head-

P.S. Not that it affects me because the only 3 babies I have are Hershey, Lolly & Baby. Namely a dog, a cat and a terrapin. LOL.

"Money money money!"

No comments: